[Pdns-users] Creating a www CNAME in powerDNS Admin (mysql backend) automatically pointing to @

Andrea Biancalani a.biancalani at conmet.it
Mon Jan 23 08:39:30 UTC 2023

Hello there,

do you know if it is possible with pdns Admin GUI (using mysql backend)
to create a template that autoinsert a value in fields based on domain name?

It is preatty common to create those records for any new domain name,

E.g. : create new domain name -> foo.bar

This domain, should have SOA, NS, MX records and this is preatty easy
configurable, but creating default records is not because I can create a
template containing all those default values and link new domain to this
template, but how can I insert in that template this values?

> @ IN A 1.2.3.4
> www IN CNAME @.

the above solution is a non-solution because even if it is not wrong, it
will not get the same resolution of

> @ IN A 1.2.3.4
> www IN CNAME *foo.bar*.

so how can I create a functional template to auto add the www record in
my template based on domain name? Or... can I solve this using an ALIAS
type or something different?

Thanks for answerers,
Andrea

--
Andrea Biancalani - /Rep. Commerciale e Tecnico/
*Connessioni Metropolitane srl*