[Pdns-users] Glue records in PowerDNS and MySQL backend

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Jan 11 15:31:01 UTC 2023

On 11/01/2023 15:13, Carsten Schmitz via Pdns-users wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My case is a bit complicated:
>
> I run a PowerDNS  server with a zone "firstdomain.org" which is using
> a name server name ns1.seconddomain.org .

Please read:

https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/18/open-source-support-out-in-the-open/

If you give the actual domain names, we can help you with those domains.

But setting that aside, it sounds like you're asking for something which
is not supported by any DNS server: replying with out-of-zone
information in the 'additional' section.

Historically, caches used to accept and store this information, but it
was used as a source of cache poisoning attacks - so caches were changed
to ignore it.  As a result, even if you *could* include those hints,
they would be thrown away.

Caches have to follow the full recursive process to resolve the IP
address of your domain's nameservers, and that's normal.  As long as
those A records don't have low TTLs, then caching will mean they rarely
need to be looked up.  (I'd suggest at least 8 hours, preferably 24, for
A records for nameservers).