[Pdns-users] IXFR Stability Feedback

Klaus Darilion klaus.darilion at nic.at
Sat Apr 15 20:09:45 UTC 2023

Hi!

We have a customer zone with ~1.1 mio RRs (~200K NSEC3 RRs) with zone updates every few minutes. We use the Postgresql backend and replicate the zone to the secondaries using logical replication. It is not very smart pushing out 5GB of (almost same) data every few minutes, and it is causing additional load to the database (write operations) on secondaries with older hardware.

Hence, I would consider enabling IXFR for this zone, but until now I always tried to stay away from IXFR as there were always bugs in PDNS regarding IXFR, and according to the documentation removing of ENTs is not supported (does this have a real word impact?).

So, I reach out for some people how use or have used PDNS with IXFR and DB backend, regarding stability and if my concerns are justifiable or over-the-top?

Thanks
Klaus