[Pdns-users] troubleshooting dnsdist -> recursor instability

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Mon Oct 24 11:44:26 UTC 2022

Hi Christoph,

On 24/10/2022 01:46, Christoph via Pdns-users wrote:
> Is this unexpected or not unusual?
> If unusual: what would be the usual ways to further track this issue down?

Clearly unexpected. You might be able to get more information about what
is going by setting setVerboseHealthChecks [1] in dnsdist. Otherwise you
might have to look at the metrics reported by the recursor, or capture
the traffic (look for UDP queries for a.root-servers.net type A).

One unrelated thing I noticed in your configuration is that you are
setting maxInFlight to 1000 on newServer, telling dnsdist to send up to
1000 concurrent queries on an outgoing TCP connection to the backend,
but on the recursor's side it looks like
max-concurrent-requests-per-tcp-connection [2] is set to the default of
10. This might lead to terrible latency numbers over TCP, so I would
suggest increasing that setting, or decreasing the maxInFlight value in
the dnsdist configuration.

[1]: https://dnsdist.org/reference/config.html#setVerboseHealthChecks
[2]:
https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#max-concurrent-requests-per-tcp-connection