[Pdns-users] easy question - replacing an A record?

Kevin P. Fleming kevin at km6g.us
Tue Oct 4 09:53:53 UTC 2022

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 9:41 PM Charles Sprickman via Pdns-users
<pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope this is a simple one and I'm just missing something in the docs...
>
> I want to use either pdnsutil or the API to update a specific A record.
>
> I see a "delete" and and "add" method, but not an "update".
>
> Am I supposed to just delete then add or have I overlooked an update mechanism?

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/http-api/zone.html#patch--servers-server_id-zones-zone_id

This method replaces an entire RRset (zone name + record type) in a
single transaction. If the name in question is "my.machine.invallid"
and the record type is "A', you can replace the *entire* set of A
records for that zone using this API call. If there are A records for
this name that you do not want to modify, you'll have to obtain them
first and include them in the API call.