[Pdns-users] Inability to query SOA after upgrade of bind9 primary server. Truncation issue?

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Fri Nov 18 01:50:20 UTC 2022

On Fri, Nov 18, 2022 at 01:31:25AM +0000, Andy Smith via Pdns-users wrote:
> one particular zone is unable to be transferred to any of the several
> PowerDNS secondary servers which have not been changed in any way.
>
> PDNS logs:
>
>     Nov 18 00:25:26 daiquiri pdns_server[32452]: While checking domain
>     freshness: Query to '2001:ba8:1f1:f085::53' for SOA of
>     'f.4.1.f.1.f.1.0.8.a.b.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa' did not return a SOA

Well, hours of head scratching then I send this email and suddenly
find something that is probably very relevant:

     "auth: slave zone soa check does not use tcp if udp answer was
     truncated #10447"
     https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/10447

I'm guessing that bind9's behaviour has changed to be more correct and
there probably won't be any configuration change on that side that I
could/should use to make this work again.

So I expect my best option is to hasten my upgrade to PDNS 4.7.x and
make use of "secondary-check-signature-freshness=no".

Unless there are other solutions I am unaware of?

Thanks,
Andy