[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor query logging of cached requests

Marco Kleefman mklwerk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:08:53 UTC 2022

Hi,

For compliancy reasons we are configuring query logging on our PowerDNS
recursor instances (running 4.7.3).

For normal queries I see source-ip and content of DNS question. Example
logging:

pdns_recursor[12056]: 2 [395002/1] question for 'www.exampledomain.com|A'
from 10.11.12.13:56765

For a cached query I only see this in my (journald + syslog) logging:

pdns_recursor[12056]: 3 question answered from packet cache tag=0 from
173.172.171.170:51200

I tried increasing loglevel parameter to 7 (debug) but no additional
logging becomes available for cached requests.

Does anybody have any tips how to log the content of a query which gets
answered from the cache?

Regards,

Marco

OS: CentOS 7.9.200
PDNS: pdns-recursor.x86_64                 4.7.3-1pdns.el7
@powerdns-rec-47

related config in /etc/pdns-recursor/recursor.conf:

disable-syslog=no
logging-facility=0
loglevel=4
quiet=no