[Pdns-users] First Release Candidate of PowerDNS Recursor 4.7.0

Otto Moerbeek otto.moerbeek at open-xchange.com
Fri May 6 09:33:42 UTC 2022

Hello!

   We are proud to announce the first release candidate of PowerDNS
   Recursor 4.7.0. Testing of this release candidate is much appreciated!

   The most important change compared to the 4.7.0-beta1 release is a fix
   for the experimental DoT to authoritative server probing code.

   Compared to the previous major (4.6) release of PowerDNS Recursor, this
   release contains the following major changes:
     * A configurable way of adding Additional[1] records to answers sent
       to the client, so the client does not have to ask for these
       records.
     * The step sizes for Query Minimization are now computed following to
       guidelines in RFC 9156.[2]
     * The Recursor now schedules tasks to resolve IPv6 addresses of name
       servers not learned by glue records. This has the consequence that,
       if applicable, name servers will be contacted over IPv6 more often.
     * An experimental implementation of unilateral DoT probing[3]. This
       allows the Recursor to learn if a an authoritative servers supports
       DoT.
     * Recursor has gained a way to fall back[4] to parent NS set if
       contacting servers in the child NS set does not lead to an answer.
       This works around some broken authoritative servers configurations.
     * ZONEMD validation of the zones retrieved by the Zone to Cache[5],
       providing integrity guarantees for the zone retrieved.
     * The table recording round trip times of authoritative server IP
       addresses is now shared between threads to make it more effective
       and to reduce its memory footprint.
     * A Lua FFI hook for post-resolve interception: postresolve_ffi[6],
       providing a very fast way to do post-resolve Lua scripting.

   As always, there are also many smaller bug fixes and improvements,
   please refer to the changelog[7] for additional details. When upgrading
   do not forget to check the upgrade guide.[8]

   Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via the mailing
   list[9], or in case of a bug, via GitHub[10].

   The tarball[11] (signature[12]) is available from our download
   server[13] and packages for several distributions are available from
   our repository[14].

   With the final 4.7 release, the 4.4.x releases will be EOL and the
   4.5.x and 4.6.x releases will go into critical fixes only mode. Consult
   the EOL policy[15] for more details.

   We would also like to mention that with the 4.5 release we stopped
   supporting systems using 32-bit time. This includes most 32-bit Linux
   platforms.

   We also like to announce the upcoming removal of XPF[16] support. If
   you are using this feature, plan switching to the proxy protocol[17].

   We are grateful to the PowerDNS community for the reporting of bugs,
   issues, feature requests, and especially to the submitters of fixes and
   implementations of features.

 -Otto and the PowerDNS Team

References

   1. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-config/additionals.html
   2. https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc9156
   3. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#max-busy-dot-probes
   4. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#save-parent-ns-set
   5. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-config/ztc.html
   6. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-scripting/hooks.html#postresolve_ffipostresolve_ffi
   7. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/changelog/4.7.html#change-4.7.0-rc1
   8. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/upgrade.html
  10. https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/new/choose
  11. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-recursor-4.7.0-rc1.tar.bz2
  12. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-recursor-4.7.0-rc1.tar.bz2.sig
  13. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/
  14. https://repo.powerdns.com/
  15. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/appendices/EOL.html
  16. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#xpf-allow-from
  17. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#proxy-protocol-from

--

kind regards,
Otto Moerbeek

Email: otto.moerbeek at open-xchange.com

Open-Xchange AG, Hohenzollernring 72, 50672 Cologne, District Court Cologne HRB 95366
Managing Board: Andreas Gauger, Dirk Valbert, Frank Hoberg, Stephan Martin
Chairman of the Board: Richard Seibt

PowerDNS.COM BV, Koninginnegracht 14L, 2514 AA Den Haag, The Netherlands
Managing Director: Robert Brandt, Maxim Letski