[Pdns-users] Automated DNSSEC Keyrollover

Adrian Kägi aka at nts.ch
Thu May 5 08:06:38 UTC 2022

Hi
This seems really to be complicated part!
~4000 Lines of code can be reasons to fail!

I am wondering, why there is no "prebuild" solution for this.

I don't like to compare pDNS with Bind, but ZSK Rollover is built in since Bind 9.7.
... Ok, is only the half story, but does pDNS support automated ZSK (and KSK ) Rollovers in future versions?

Regards Adrian

On Thu. 5. May 2022 09:50 CEST, Klaus Darilion <klaus.darilion at nic.at> wrote:
> [...]

In our case it is ~4000 lines of php code/scripts which:
- check the age of KSK/ZSK
- create new keys in case of old keys and pre-publish them
- calculate when it is safe to use the new keys
- activate the new keys
- for KSKs track the DS updates in the parent zone
- calculate when it is safe to remove the old keys
- remove the old keys

IMO, all this key handling is muich more complicated then DNSSEC/signing itself.

regards
Klaus

-- Adrian Kägi
Network Engineer

Direct +41 31 517 77 19 | Phone +41 31 517 77 77
NTS Workspace AG             colocate lightspeed
Wölflistrasse 1d  |  CH-3006 Bern  |  www.nts.ch