[Pdns-users] How to make Authoritative work?

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Tue Jan 18 16:20:54 UTC 2022

On 18/01/2022 15:03, jrd-pdns at jrd.org wrote:
> Let's get back to my original question:  How do I get pdns, with no
> recursor in the picture, to believe that it's authoritative for a zone?

(Presumably by "pdns" you mean "pdns authoritative server")

> When I it hit with a query, I get
>
> root at f3-kong-dyndns /etc/powerdns # dig -p 5300 jrd.org soa @localhost
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.16.22 <<>> -p 5300 jrd.org soa @localhost
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
> ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

That looks right to me. flags: aa = authoritative answer set on the
reply.  What do you expect to be different?

If you want to avoid the "recursion requested but not available"
warning, use dig +norec

dig +norec -p 5300 jrd.org. soa @localhost

Note that if the server wasn't authoritative for the requested zone, it
would reply to the query with REFUSED.