[Pdns-users] Recursor: Error writing TCP answer - broken pipe

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Mon Jan 17 10:48:14 UTC 2022

Hi Christoph,

On 16/01/2022 11:27, Christoph via Pdns-users wrote:
> I get about 2000 of these log events per day:
>
> pdns-recursor[11727]: Error writing TCP answer to 109.70.100.132:31192:
> Broken pipe
>
> 109.70.100.132 is the IP address of an dnsdist instance.
>
> setup:
> DoH/DoT clients -> dnsdist -> recursors
>
> Is there anything that can be optimized to avoid these errors?

My guess is that the initial client closed its TCP connection with
dnsdist, leading dnsdist to close its TCP connection to the recursor as
well. 1.7.0 might do a bit better in that regard because it reuses
outgoing TCP connections more aggressively when possible, but the real
fix might be to lower the severity of that log message in the recursor.

Best regards,
--
Remi Gacogne