[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor Performance and Tuning

Hamed Haghshenas haghshenas at chavoosh.com
Sun Jan 16 09:41:55 UTC 2022

Hello,
Thanks for your help. I changed them .

> If you have 8G of RAM, likely the default cache sizes could be enlarged
(max-cache-entries for the record cache and max-packetcache-entries for the
packet cache)

how calculate the best number for "max-packetcache-entries" and
"max-cache-entries"

>Virtulization *could* be an issue, for example when the network interface
is virtualized in a way thet hinders performance.

I can't change my Platform for now !!!

>If you are using NAT: this *kills* the performance. See
https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/performance.html

I move it to my Edge Network and set Public IP .

>Depending on kernel version and other factors resuseports and multiple
distributor thread might work better or not, best to start with
reuserport=no and distributor-threads=1, test & measure and then change to
yes and 4 and compare performance on your actual setup.

My Kernel is 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64, i set reuserport=no and
"distributor-threads=1", "threads=3"

>If you see a lot ot bogus results this might impact performance

"dnssec-log-bogus=yes" removed.

> entropy-source=/dev/random

changed to default

> lowercase-outgoing=yes

I ignore it.

> quiet=no

I need the logs and should export domains to my analyzer platform .

Best Regards,
Hamed Haghshenas