[Pdns-users] Low ttl with combination of forward zones makes queries fail

Thomas Mieslinger miesi at mail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:57:43 UTC 2022

Am 08.02.22 um 13:34 schrieb Otto Moerbeek:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 01:24:03PM +0100, Thomas Mieslinger via Pdns-users wrote:
>
>> In my experience pdns_recursor (okay, I tested only with older versions)
>> will not retry fast enough to have a 100% user experience.
>
> It is worth the trouble to test this again. Modern recursors are more
> smart in this area. Though dnsdist is maybe best fitted for this
> purpose.

Sorry that I blamed pdns_recursor being not fast enough. Please excuse
that I was writing faster than I thought about implications.

pdns_recursor indeed is really fast, but to me, the use case described
smells like a "every query must work, because the CNAME is resolved for
every db connect of a customers php script, and dbs move arround
quickly" ... pdns_recursor is not designed for this usecase, dnsdist
will do much better job.

Cheers Thomas