[Pdns-users] stupid recursor question

Curtis Maurand curtis at maurand.com
Tue Dec 6 17:06:22 UTC 2022

Hello,
I've been a pdns user since, well, forever.  I abandoned bind long ago.
I currently have a set up where I run an authoritative server on a
virtual machine and I run pdns-recursor on a separate virtual machine.

On the authoritative server I host a domain that I'll call domain.tld as
the example.  It works fine. It returns all of the correct answers and
the zone is signed and those answers come back correctly.

queries to outside recursors such as 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 or 4.2.2.2,
return appropriate responses.  All seems to be well, until I query the
local recursor which returns nothing.  It answers, but doesn't return a
response.  The local networks are set up  in the recursor.conf
(allow-from=127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.100.0/24, 192.168.192.0/24,
192.168.100.0/24)

querying a foreign domain such as ibm.com or microsoft.com works fine.
It just seems to be my local recursor is finding nothing that I actually
host.  I've tried forward-zones = domain.tld=192.168.100.30; and that
doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank in advance,
Curtis