[Pdns-users] DNAME randomly failing on Linux clients

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Apr 6 09:18:43 UTC 2022

If I understand that right: you have dnsdist and auth running on the
local server, and recursor is on a remote server?

If your requirements are simple, for basic DNS querying you may not need
dnsdist at all.  Just run the recursor on port 53, and use forward-zones
/ forward-zones-recurse as you do today. Looking at your config though,
maybe it's to do with AXFR/IXFR requirements though.

> Any idea ? I can definitely make TCPDumps at some point but I'm not
> sure to able to understand them ;-)
If the above statement is true, you'll need two simultaneously, in
separate windows:

tcpdump -i lo -nn -s0 -v port 53 or port 5353

tcpdump -i eth0 -nn -s0 -v port 53

It should decode the packets for you, so it should be clear. (Except
port 5353. New version of tcpdump have "-T domain" to force decoding as
DNS, but you'll need a very recent version; Ubuntu 20.04 is not new enough)

The tcpdumps will show:

- queries from dig to dnsdist (53) and dnsdist to auth (5353)
- queries from dnsdist to recursor