[Pdns-users] DNAME randomly failing on Linux clients

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Apr 6 08:44:39 UTC 2022

On 06/04/2022 09:36, Adam Cecile via Pdns-users wrote:
> Any idea what's going on here, I'm completely lost. I guess my DNAME
> usage is somehow incorrect but I don't understand why it's working
> intermittently (and always with pure DNS call using dig...)

Just a thought, but does your system use systemd-resolved? (Clue:
/etc/resolv.conf points to nameserver 127.0.0.53).  For example, it may
treat ".local" differently, given that domain is reserved for multicast
DNS (as dig output informs you); or there may be some DNSSEC issue.
"systemd-resolve --status" may give you some clue.

Apart from that, I suggest you look at the raw queries and responses on
the wire, and see how this differs between using direct dig and
gethostbyname:

tcpdump -i eth0 -nn -s0 -v port 53

(replace "eth0" with whatever your external interace is)