[Pdns-users] Second alpha release of PowerDNS Recursor 4.6.0

Otto Moerbeek otto.moerbeek at open-xchange.com
Mon Oct 25 11:47:13 UTC 2021

   Hello!,

   We are proud to announce the second alpha release of PowerDNS Recursor
   4.6.0.

   Compared to the previous major (4.5) release of PowerDNS Recursor, this
   release contains several sets of changes:
     * A rewrite of the outgoing TCP code, adding both re-use of
       connections and support for DoT to authoritative servers or
       forwarders.
     * Many improvements in the area of metrics: more metrics are
       collected and more metrics are now exported in a Prometheus
       friendly way.
     * A new Zone to Cache[1] function that will retrieve a zone (using
       AXFR, HTTP, HTTPS or a local file) periodically and insert the
       contents into the record cache, allowing the cache to be always hot
       for a zone. This can be used for the root or any other zone.
     * An experimental Event Tracing[2] function, providing insight into
       the time taken by the steps in the process of resolving a name.

   Re-use of TCP/DoT connections is achieved by not closing connections,
   leaving them open for re-use. Previously, a TCP connection would be
   closed after a single query-reply exchange. The policy used to keep
   idle connections open is governed by various settings[3].

   By default[4], if a forwarder is specified using port 853, DoT will be
   used to connect to that forwarder. It is also possible to list[5]
   specific nameservers that should be contacted over DoT. Note that no
   certificate validation is done. After the standard committees define
   discovery of authoritative servers offering DoT, we will add
   functionality to allow automatic switching to DoT including validation
   of certificates.

   As always, there are also many smaller bug fixes and improvements,
   please refer to the changelog[6] for additional details.

   Please send us all feedback and issues you might have via the mailing
   list[7], or in case of a bug, via GitHub[8].

   The tarball[9] (signature[10]) is available from our download
   server[11] and packages for several distributions are available from
   our repository[12].

   With the final 4.6 release, the 4.3.x releases will be marked EOL and
   the 4.4.x and 4.5.x releases will go into critical fixes only mode.
   Consult the EOL policy[13] for more details.

   We would also like to mention that with the 4.5 release we stopped
   supporting systems using 32-bit time. This includes most 32-bit Linux
   platforms.

   We are grateful to the PowerDNS community for the reporting of bugs,
   issues, feature requests, and especially to the submitters of fixes and
   implementations of features.

 -Otto and the PowerDNS Team

References

   1. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/lua-config/ztc.html
   2. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/performance.html#event-tracing
   3. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#tcp-out-max-idle-ms
   4. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#dot-to-port-853
   5. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/settings.html#dot-to-auth-names
   6. https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/changelog/4.6.html#change-4.6.0-alpha2
   8. https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/new/choose
   9. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-recursor-4.6.0-alpha2.tar.bz2
  10. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-recursor-4.6.0-alpha2.tar.bz2.sig
  11. https://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/
  12. https://repo.powerdns.com/
  13. https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/appendices/EOL.html

--

kind regards,
Otto Moerbeek

Email: otto.moerbeek at open-xchange.com

Open-Xchange AG, Hohenzollernring 72, 50672 Cologne, District Court Cologne HRB 95366
Managing Board: Andreas Gauger, Carsten Dirks, Dirk Valbert, Frank Hoberg, Stephan Martin
Chairman of the Board: Richard Seibt

PowerDNS.COM BV, Koninginnegracht 14L, 2514 AA Den Haag, The Netherlands
Managing Director: Robert Brandt, Carsten Dirks