[Pdns-users] resource-limits metrics

Remi Gacogne remi.gacogne at powerdns.com
Sun Oct 24 13:00:41 UTC 2021

Hi Christoph,

On 10/24/21 10:49, Christoph via Pdns-users wrote:
> while going over the list of prometheus metrics available in PowerDNS
> Recursor I found this one:
>

>> resource-limits
>>
>> counts number of queries that could not be performed because of
>> resource limits
> https://docs.powerdns.com/recursor/metrics.html#resource-limits
>
> I guess if this value is increasing regularly it is a sign of issues.
> What kind of resource limits are hit when this counter increases?
> Are there other metrics that allow further understanding the possible
> root causes?

This counter is increased when we encounter a network issue that does
not seem to be caused by the remote end but by a problem on our side,
like if the recursor runs out of file descriptors or if we don't have a
network route to contact a given IP address, for example.
I would suggest checking and likely increasing the number of file
descriptors available to the recursor as a first step, and then trying
to correlate the periods where that counter is increasing with a growth
of others network-related counters.

Best regards,
--
Remi Gacogne