[Pdns-users] Best practice for serving a few public domains + auth/recursion for VMs & VPN clients

Patrick Laimbock patrick at laimbock.com
Mon Oct 4 12:44:20 UTC 2021

Hi,

New to the list & PowerDNS. Pleased to meet you. I have about 50
domains, 10 VMs and 10 VPN clients I would like to setup DNS for. I went
through DuckDuckGo and a bunch of ML archives but did not find any hints
of a best practice architecture for this small setup. I did find:

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/guides/recursion.html#scenario-2-authoritative-server-as-recursor-for-clients-and-serving-public-domains

Is this deduction of scenario 2 "New situation" pic on the right correct?

Internet -> dnsdist -> auth (for serving the public zones)
VMs/VPN clients -> dnsdist -> auth (for public/private zones)
VMs/VPN clients -> dnsdist -> recursor -> Internet (for the rest)

Thank you.

Best,
Patrick