[Pdns-users] Upgrading Auth Server directly from 4.1.14 to 4.4.1

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Wed May 19 18:40:59 UTC 2021

Hello,

We are (still) using PowerDNS Auth Server 4.1.14 (on CentOS 7) with LDAP
backend (simple mode).

Can we upgrade directly to 4.4.1 provided we do pertinent config changes
as described in the upgrade guide, or it is suggested to upgrade in
steps, e.g. to the last point release of each major version (4.1.14 -->
4.2.3 --> 4.3.2 --> 4.4.1)?

After checking documentation:

    https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/upgrading.html

...I would say that, apart from the ldap backend schema changes (in
dnsdomain2.schema and pdns-domaininfo.schema), the only change I can see
affecting us is deprecation of "local-ipv6" directive.

By the way, the LDAP backend documentation states "Master (support):
No", yet there is a section (Master Mode) with configuration for Master
operation.These changes will allow master operation in the future, or
rather master support (i.e. Zone Change Notifications and AXFRs) is in
fact available?

Of course, notifications & AXFRs to DNS Servers with LDAP Backend may
not lead to zone updates due to LDAP limitations (and thus should be
disallowed by configuration), yet they will allow updates of all other
NS servers.

Please advise!

Thanks a lot,
Nick