[Pdns-users] Private IP Addresses in DNS Records

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at admin.noa.gr
Thu May 13 09:51:38 UTC 2021

Hello,

We are using PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.1.14 with LDAP backend.

In our setup we are hosting our organization domain (noa.gr) and there
is a number of additional servers which are synced via AXFR.

In this setup we do NOT host name records for internal hosts with
private ip addresses, although we would like at some point in time to
setup a separate branch, specifically private.noa.gr, which will be used
for private IP Addresses.

Can we immediately add records *.private.noa.gr (mapped to private
addresses) to our DNS DIT (in LDAP) and configure PowerDNS to ignore
from AXFRs all these records?

In other words, is there a way to configure PowerDNS (4.1.14) to ignore
a set of records (here: those belonging to subdomain private.noa.gr)
from AXFRs? This would be a simple way to serve internal DNS needs
through the same setup.

Otherwise, if this is not possible, if we include a small number of A
records with private IP Addresses (which unavoidably would be propagated
to the Internet), would this be considered bad practice? Could this
cause problems?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Nick