[Pdns-users] DNS Forwarding on Master/Slave Servers

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri May 7 17:08:53 UTC 2021

On 07/05/2021 11:35, Steven Garner wrote:
>  I thought the best practice to ensure current software on Ubuntu was
> to use apt, first to update and then to install:
>
>     sudo apt update
>     sudo apt install pdns-server pdns-backend-mysql -y

That gives you some version which has probably percolated down from the
Debian repositories, and could be very old and stale.  In the case of
Ubuntu 16.04 they published an alpha version (4.0.0~alpha2) with
significant bugs, and never updated it to the release.

So you're much better off getting the packages from the powerdns repo.

> I understand from your referenced documentation
> (https://repo.powerdns.com/ <https://repo.powerdns.com/>), that the
> preferred installation method for "PowerDNS Authoritative Server -
> master branch" on Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal Fossa" is to:
>
>     Create the file '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/pdns.list' with this content:
>
>         deb [arch=amd64] http://repo.powerdns.com/ubuntu
>         <http://repo.powerdns.com/ubuntu> bionic-auth-master main

Two problems with that.

1. The master branch is the development tip.  Only use this if you're
participating in the development of the *next* release (e.g. testing new
features).  Don't use it in production: you need to choose the 44 branch.

2. Ubuntu 20.04 is "focal", not "bionic".

So the branch you want is focal-auth-44

> There is nothing there about installing the preferred backend, but
> would I be correct in assuming I could extend that last line to read:
>
>     sudo apt install pdns-server pdns-backend-mysql

Yes - the repo has the backend packages too.

> I find the documentation on upgrading pdns
> (https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/upgrading.html
> <https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/upgrading.html>) to be highly
> contextual and difficult to follow, in that there does not appear to
> be procedures set forth to actually upgrade any distribution.
>
> So instead of upgrading, do I first uninstall, remove and purge the
> old pdns 4.2.1 installation and then follow the installation of the
> latest master branch above?
>
>     apt-get --purge autoremove pdns-server pdns-backend-mysql

It doesn't really matter.  After adding the new repo, a simple

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

will install the newer packages.  It will be up to you to ensure the
configs are valid for the new version, but they usually are (and you can
compare with the .dpkg-dist files to see what's new)

If you prefer to purge and reinstall, that's fine too.

> I'm assuming as a backend, the apt-updated version of MySQL is adequate:
>
>     mysql  Ver 8.0.23-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 for Linux on x86_64 ((Ubuntu))
>

> ... where all the domain and record information will persist.

I don't use mysql with pdns, but I suggest you read the release notes
and look for provisos for Mysql 8, for example:

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/upgrading.html#mysql-character-set-detection

Regards,

Brian.