[Pdns-users] CNAME RRset issues

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 20:43:34 UTC 2021

On 26/03/2021 20:29, Larry Wapnitsky via Pdns-users wrote:
> I'm looking to replace A records with CNAMES, and have been able to do so seamlessly on one of my domains, but another keeps giving me errors relating to RRSET conflict ( IN CNAME: Conflicts with pre-existing RRset).
>> I've deleted the necessary A records, yet keep running into the same issue.

At any given point in the tree, you can't have both a CNAME and any
other resource record.

foo.bar.baz.   IN  MX mail.example.com.
foo.bar.baz.   IN  CNAME abc.def.ghi.      ; NOT ALLOWED because it
conflicts with the MX record

This is most commonly a problem at the apex of a zone, where there are
already SOA and NS records.

The 'ALIAS' pseudo-RR exists to solve this problem.  It's not served
directly, but when an incoming A/AAAA request arrives, the right-hand
side of the ALIAS record is resolved (externally), and then the result
of that is returned as the result of the original query.

See: https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/guides/alias.html