[Pdns-users] [E] Re: How to update IP address of records

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 08:02:19 UTC 2021

On 25/03/2021 21:49, Chhavi Mittal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This ALIAS approach is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for
> sharing it.! I tried to set it up and now have both pdns
> authoritative and recursor servers running on my host and I have added
> following entries in my DB but when I try to do 'dig' on 'example.net
> <http://example.net>' to get the recursor to return me IP address of
> the alias its not returning anything at all.
> I am also attaching my pdns and recursor config. Please check what is
> wrong.

The target of the ALIAS record must actually resolve, and you must point
pdns-authoritative at a resolver which is able to resolve it.

If you're using the fake data from the guide
<https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/guides/alias.html>, with exactly
"example.net" and "mywebapp.paas-provider.net", then it won't work,
because "mywebapp.paas-provider.net" doesn't resolve in the real DNS.

$ dig mywebapp.paas-provider.net | grep status:

You could make it work, but to do so you'd have to set up your own
recursor with a forwarding rule that forwards
"mywebapp.paas-provider.net" back to your authoritative server, ignoring
the delegation (or lack of it) in the public DNS.

I suggest you try first using something you know resolves, like
"www.google.com" as the target of the ALIAS record.

If you are using different data, then we can't help you, because you
haven't shown your actual data. See:

https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/18/open-source-support-out-in-the-open/