[Pdns-users] [E] Re: How to update IP address of records

Kevin P. Fleming kevin at km6g.us
Tue Mar 23 00:22:44 UTC 2021

If it's 10K records all pointing to the same host, then yes... making
those CNAMEs to a single name (with an A record) will be much quicker
to update than if they were all A records. There are many reasons why
that might be a bad idea though, so be careful :-)

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 6:36 PM Chhavi Mittal via Pdns-users
<pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:

> Yes I am using mysql backend to store the records. But if I have 10K records and I am updating frequently then every time I do a sql update query my table will be locked and it takes some time to update that many records. So that's why I'm looking for a better solution.
>
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 3:28 PM Larry Wapnitsky <larry at wapnitsky.com> wrote:
>>
>> Are you storing the records in a database? If so, a select and replace would work
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021, 17:43 Chhavi Mittal via Pdns-users <pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am new to powerdns and trying to set it up based on my requirements. One issue that I am facing is how to update an IP address for all my records? For example, if I have 10K records that are pointing to one host/IP address but that host goes down and I want to update to a new host ip address, do I have to update all 10K records?
>>> Or is there a better way to set this up? Maybe I can add 'cname' to all these 10K records and that 'cname' could somehow resolve to an IP address so essentially when I run the 'dig' command the end result would be the new IP address.
>>> Also is there a powerdns supported plugin that can be written for this to make updates simpler?
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Chhavi