[Pdns-users] PowerDNS suddenly refuses to resolve

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Thu Jun 24 11:13:15 UTC 2021

On 24/06/2021 12:03, Laurie Brown via Pdns-users wrote:
> One of my pdns name servers has suddenly stopped resolving, giving a
> status to dig of status: REFUSED. I have no idea why as it was working
> perfectly well for several days (it's a new installation).

Quite possibly because it's not running powerdns at all, it's running
bind 9 - or at least claims to be.

$ dig +short @ns6.convergent-ict.com version.bind txt chaos
"9.16.1-Ubuntu"
$ dig +short @ns7.convergent-ict.com version.bind txt chaos
"PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.2.1"

Maybe what has happened is that someone has installed/started bind on
that server, it bound to port 53, and this in turn is stopping powerdns
from starting.

BTW, this makes it very clear why the "out in the open" support policy
is so important! :-)

Also, do note that powerdns 4.2 is due to go end-of-life soon:

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/appendices/EOL.html

Regards,

Brian.