[Pdns-users] Geo DNS - Apex Alias (not resolving)

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Mon Jun 14 08:21:02 UTC 2021

$ dig +short @dns0.hotchilli.uk. geo.hotchilli.co.uk. a
46.17.220.152
$ dig +short @dns0.hotchilli.uk. hotchilli.co.uk. a
10.0.2.18

I see that's the response you configured for "unknown.geo.hotchilli.co.uk"

I'd be inclined to use tcpdump to look at queries from dist to auth,
auth to recursor, and recursor to auth - and check the flow of packets
when you send an external query for "hotchilli.co.uk". My guess is that
the source subnet of the original query isn't propagating all the way
through, and maybe you can identify at which step it's lost.

I do wonder if there's a better way; perhaps dnsdist itself could map
hotchilli.co.uk to geo.hotchilli.co.uk? But I don't use dnsdist myself.