[Pdns-users] Dnstap and kafka

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Wed Jan 13 15:27:29 UTC 2021

On 13/01/2021 14:58, Michael Chisina via Pdns-users wrote:
> I want to frame stream powerdns  recursor DNS query and response using
> dnstap to an apache kafka remote server (202.20.20.1).
> # what are the configurations needed on recursor?

dnstap doesn't talk to kafka.

You'll need to run some middleware software which accepts dnstap
<https://dnstap.info/>-formatted messages, and writes them to kafka -
which could be in raw dnstap form, or decoded into some other form (e.g.
JSON).  Google "dnstap kafka" for some options, or write your own.

Then you configure pdns-recursor to send dnstap messages to this
middleware server.

If you run the middleware on the same server as pdns-recursor, then they
can communicate over a unix domain socket.  If you want to communicate
to a remote server over TCP, then you will need a sufficiently new
version of libfstrm which supports this. In practice this means that if
you are using Ubuntu then you need 20.04 not 18.04. See this thread:

https://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-users/2020-June/026724.html

> # what is dns message schema(s) format for the database creation?

kafka isn't a database.  If you want to write these messages to a
database, then that's an additional step.  You'll need some more
software which reads messages from kafka, decodes them, and writes to a
database in some schema that you define.  Beware that a busy recursor
can generate a very large volume of messages, so you might want to
aggregate them first.

HTH,

Brian.