[Pdns-users] [dnsdist] First alpha release of dnsdist 1.6.0

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Feb 3 08:27:53 UTC 2021

On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 02:10:45PM +0100,
 Remi Gacogne via dnsdist <dnsdist at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote
 a message of 149 lines which said:

> We are proud to announce the first alpha release of dnsdist 1.6.0.

Executive summary: be careful beforce activating out-of-order
processing on DoT servers. Read on.

Background: I manage a (very) small public DoT and DoH resolver. It is
automatically monitored from Icinga with two programs, one written in
Python <https://framagit.org/bortzmeyer/homer> and the other in C
(based on getdns). So, I can know what happen when I sleep.

I upgraded to 1.6.0 Alpha and the server is running for 18 hours.

So, the big issue: *much* more timeouts are reported by the monitoring
system. With 1.4 and 1.5, everything was smooth, now I have timeouts
all the time.

It only affects DoT, not DoH, so I presume it is not the fault of the
machine or the network.

DoT was configured with maxInFlight=256, I've just go back to
maxInFlight=0 to see if it makes a difference.