[Pdns-users] returning a TXT record consisting only of digits from lua backend

Christof Meerwald cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Sun Aug 1 19:49:00 UTC 2021

On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 15:48:40 +0200, Peter van Dijk via Pdns-users wrote:
> Hello Christof,
>
> On Wed, 2021-07-28 at 22:49 +0200, Christof Meerwald via Pdns-users
> wrote:
>> it seems to be impossible to return a "TXT" record that only contains
>> digits from the lua backend (something like "1234").
>>
>> Any attempt results in "boost::bad_get: failed value get using
>> boost::get".
>>
>> I guess this is a side-effect of how lua_isnumber is specified:
>> "Returns 1 if the value at the given index is a number or a string
>> convertible to a number, and 0 otherwise."
>
> what version of the auth, and what backend? We dropped the luabackend
> some time ago, a few versions after we gained the lua2backend.

Sorry, when saying lua backend I actually mean lua2backend:

pdns-backend-lua2 4.5.1-1pdns.focal

> Better yet, can you show some config and code?

I was basically just testing my Let's Encrypt ACME-DNS verification:

https://svn.cmeerw.net/src/pdns-acme-backend/trunk/acmebackend.lua

which should just return the contents of a file as the TXT record.

Unfortunately, I was testing with a file containg "1234" - this didn't
work, but when changing the file contents to something like "A1234"
it suddenly started working.

Christof

https://cmeerw.org                             sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org                   xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org