[Pdns-users] PDNS with no direct access to root servers

Eelco eelco at dotinga.net
Tue Apr 6 11:30:39 UTC 2021

Hi all

I've setup a pdns/pdns-recursor with it's own zones. The
pdns/pdns-recursor is behind a firewall with no access to any root-servers.

The pdns/pdns-recursor is working for the local zones and can forward
queries to a DNS server through a firewall. But anything outside the
environment is queried direct to the root-servers which I cannot reach.

The DNS servers in front of the firewall can query everything outside
the environment.

I've tried to use forward-zones pointing to the DNS servers in front of
the firewall in recursor.conf and/or an own root-hints file with only
DNS servers in front of the firewall to set this up but neither works.

What is the proper way for setting this up?

Eelco