[Pdns-users] Question about Powerdns remote database backend best practices

Jianan Wang wangjianan.zju at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 10:01:35 UTC 2020

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your detailed explanation on the scaling plan for power dns
deployment! It is very helpful from my current standing point, where we use
mostly bind based solutions and replication is more through axfr/ixfr.
Since it is pretty inspiring, I would like to follow up with some question
if you would not mind:

(1) Let's say you have master location A and B serving as writer, so it
means location C, D's local regional zone will also be written into
location A & B's dns instance? Sounds like the trade-off is between
simplicity of management compared to write availability for non-master
locations. Is the location you mentioned more like within a country or
world-wide?

(2) In your deployment here, it seems like your authoritative servers are
the ones being replicated, and you will have local resolvers pointing to
them behind the dnslist pairs you mentioned, right?

(3) I bet managing 5 million zones will be a pretty complicated question,
so just curious are you guys more a UI based management or git based
management in this case?

(4) Is there any good practice to manage the mysql instance ip? Are you
using lvs, vip style or ip anycast solution to point to master so it would
be free of changes? Normally we use domain names so that changing ip of
mysql instance will not impact all the services. However, since powerdns is
relying on this database anyways, meaning we could only use ip or dns
served by other instances.

Thanks for your help!
Jianan.

--