[Pdns-users] IXFR request refused response

Sebastian Sandberg sandberg.sebastian11 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 13:33:07 UTC 2020

Hello.

I'm a new user of PowerDNS and first time writing to this group.

I have questions regarding IXFR. I have a problem in my lab where pdns is
refusing IXFR requests to check current serial of a master zone in pdns.
This seems to appear when IXFR is requested over UDP.

PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.4.0-alpha3

Here's how I test the same scenario with dig.

Successful IXFR request - this also show up in pdns logs
dig example.com ixfr=1
; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.13-Ubuntu <<>> example.com ixfr=1 @10.10.1.10
;; global options: +cmd
example.com. 3600 IN SOA ns1.example.com. example.com. 1 10800 3600 604800
3600
;; Query time: 3 msec
;; SERVER: 10.10.1.10#53(10.10.1.10)
;; WHEN: Mon Nov 23 12:01:15 CET 2020
;; XFR size: 1 records (messages 1, bytes 117)

Non successful IXFR request forcing udp - pdns logging event in
log-dns-queries
dig example.com ixfr=1 +notcp
; <<>> DiG 9.11.3-1ubuntu1.13-Ubuntu <<>> example.com ixfr=1 @10.10.1.10
+notcp
;; global options: +cmd
;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 10.10.1.10#53(10.10.1.10)
;; WHEN: Mon Nov 23 12:02:34 CET 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 41

PowerDNS log
pdns[32522]: Remote 10.10.1.91 wants 'example.com|IXFR', do = 0, bufsize =
1232 (4096): packetcache MISS

Best regards,
Sebastian