[Pdns-users] recursor failing to pick up change in master .ca zone file

Eric Beck ericbeck at cadns.ca
Mon Nov 16 16:59:57 UTC 2020

The second one, the NXDOMAIN.  I get that they are publishing a 3600 TTL
(which is wrong, because they publish the master .ca zone file very 30
minutes, so it should be 1800 (which I will mention to them).  But what
is strange is that other recursors, such as 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 picked
up the changes from the registry as soon as the new .ca master zone file
was published (usually about 20 minutes after the serial number time).

2011161530 example so that was the 1530 UTC update.  That is normally
able to be caught anywhere and everywhere by 1550.  So now to the next
master, at 2011161600.  So one server was seeing (at 1620) the 1600
update properly at about 20 minutes after the publish, but another
server, the recursor in question, was still seeing the old 1530 master
.ca zone file from CIRA.  Your answer re: TTL makes sense.  I had always
thought that their TTL was 1800 as in my mind I had seen that many
times. It is possible someone has made an error in modifying their SOA
at CIRA.  I'm going to check with them.

Thanks for the reply.

Eric