[Pdns-users] recursor failing to pick up change in master .ca zone file

Eric Beck ericbeck at cadns.ca
Mon Nov 16 15:35:25 UTC 2020

Hi,

I just had something curious happen.  I have a 4.4.0 recursor running,
and I had added a new .ca domain entry to our nameservers.  The .ca
Registry (CIRA) only updates the master .ca zone file once every 1/2
hour, the cutoffs being :00 and :30.  It then takes about 20 minutes to
get the full publish out and propagation is complete.  After the alloted
time, I checked all our servers and nameservers for propagation and
indeed they had the dns info, all except for the recursor in quesetion.

The recursor was still one .ca master zone file behind, even after
plenty of time had elapsed.  I solved the problem by restarting the
recursor and voila! the domain was found immediately by the recursor.

Any idea why this would happen?  Is there some setting that would result
in this sort of behaviour?

Eric