[Pdns-users] tips for CNAME Flattening

Tom Barrett tbarrett at encirca.com
Tue Jun 30 15:30:21 UTC 2020

I'm looking for tips on how to implement CNAME Flattening in PowerDNS .  I
believe other DNS providers accomplish this using so-called "ANAME" records.

I assume it involves the use of ALIAS records and found this comment in
another thread:
Starting with the PowerDNS Authoritative Server 4.0.0, DNSSEC ‘washing’ of
ALIAS records is supported on AXFR (*not* on live-signing). Set
outgoing-axfr-expand-alias to ‘yes’ and enable DNSSEC for the zone on the
master. PowerDNS will sign the A/AAAA records during the AXFR.

Does this accomplish CNAME Flattening vis-a-vis the intended ANAME behavior
or is there more to it?

thanks in advance,

Tom