[Pdns-users] Log written in multiple files

Pierrick CHOVELON pierrick.chovelon at savoye.com
Wed Jul 29 07:10:44 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with the logging configuration. I enabled the syslog logging
on a pdns-recursor.
So I got three files :

local5.=info                       -/var/log/pdns/pdns.info
local5.=warn                       -/var/log/pdns/pdns.warn
local5.err                        /var/log/pdns/pdns.err

As my server is being more and more used, it generates more logs and I can
see that logs are also written in /etc/var/log/syslog and messages which
will used a lot of space ...
I tried with many configuration, but can't achieve what I want :

   - logs only in those three files not elsewhere

Here is the execstart of the service
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/pdns_recursor --daemon=no --write-pid=no
--log-timestamp=no

I put this line in the service definition to disable the logging in
/var/log/syslog
StandardOutput=null

But logs are still written in /var/log/messages

Have you got any idea ?

Regards !