[Pdns-users] Unable to forward-zone to primary PowerDNS server

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Mon Jul 6 17:31:25 UTC 2020

On 06/07/2020 17:13, Clarence Mills via Pdns-users wrote:
> Just recently set up a network containing  1 dnsdist, 1 reccursor  and
> 1 PDNS server. I'm unable to resolve my internal domain
> millsresidence.com. I'm
> using forward-zones-recurse=millsresidence.com=192.168.0.32 within my
> recursor. i've attached my config below.
> - dnsdist: 192.168.0.18
> - recursor: 192.168.0.22
> - PDNS server: 192.168.0.32

If you're forwarding to an authoritative server, it should be
"forward-zones" not "forward-zones-recurse".  You'd use
forward-zones-recurse if forwarding to another recursive server, like
9.9.9.9.

However I don't think this will stop it working, i.e. pdns-auth will
probably answer correctly even if RD is set.

What does

dig +norec @192.168.0.32 millsresidence.com. soa

show?

Other than that, I'd look at server logs, and tcpdump to see if traffic
is going between recursor and auth.