[Pdns-users] rate-limit support

Pieter Lexis pieter.lexis at powerdns.com
Thu Jan 16 08:28:44 UTC 2020

Hi Abubin,

On 1/14/20 10:12 AM, abubin . wrote:
> I have been using pdns for a year now. It is mainly used for our
> internal LAN. Recently due to security compliance, we need to set rate
> limit to queries. A quick search found that we need to use LUA script
> for rate limit in pdns. Just wondering is this still the case or new
> version of pdns already have built-in rate limit?

The easiest way (imho) is using dnsdist[1]. You can use the
MaxQPSIPRule[2] to limit QPS per address or netmask:

     addAction(MaxQPSIPRule(5), DropAction())

This would drop all traffic from each address that sends more than 5 QPS.

Best regards,

Pieter

1 - https://dnsdist.org
2 - https://dnsdist.org/rules-actions.html?highlight=maxqps#MaxQPSIPRule