[Pdns-users] SERVFAIL on backend failure - is this possible?

Vytenis A vytenis.adm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 00:00:49 UTC 2020

Hi Bert,

Thanks for a prompt reply.

This is currently on my local test VM, it's waay past midnight, I can
put it on resolvable domain tomorrow if this isn't helpful. Not sure
how to show you this exactly :)

I'm using latest pDNS, using official repo:

pdns-4.2.1-1pdns.el7.x86_64, CentOS 7.7.1908

Two backends:

# /etc/pdns/pdns.conf:

config-dir=/etc/pdns
setuid=pdns
setgid=pdns
log-dns-details=yes
log-dns-queries=yes
loglevel=6
launch=bind,remote
bind-config=/etc/pdns/bind-files/named.conf
remote-connection-string=http:url=http://invalidhostname:99999

Static bind backend contains one zone, which contains SOA and one 'IN
NS' record only.

http endpoint is serving TXT records exclusively, and all is well if
it's reachable: queries get resolved, nonexistent TXT records get
NXDOMAIN

But if http endpoint is invalidated (as in example above ^) - I get
NXDOMAIN. If I remove bind stuff out of pdns.conf - I get REFUSED,
which is somewhat the same as SERVFAIL afaik.

bind backend is used to keep SOA out of "remote" backend, not 100%
sure it's the best way. We could implement entire zone in http backend
as a last resort.

Thanks again!

--
Vytenis