[Pdns-users] pdns + recursor + master / slave

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Sat Feb 1 17:13:26 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'm new to PowerDNS and still learning about how it works.

I want to have 2 DNS servers located in 2 different datacenters. One of
them is master, one of them is slave. They both need to forward requests
for unknown domains.

If I understand it correctly I need:
- 1 recursor in 1 each datacenter, so 2 in total
- a master DNS in 1 datacenter
- a slave DNS in the other datacenter

I tried to install the recursor and the pdns server on the same machine.
The recursor is listening on port 53, the pdns server is listening on
port 5300. I also have PowerDNS-Admin installed on both servers. This is
working fine.

In this setup, I can request manually an update on the slave and it
pulls in all the changes from the master.

But I can not make the master push a change to the slave.

This is what I find in the logfiles (1.1.1.99 is the master, 1.1.2.99 is
the slave) when I update the master:

Feb  1 17:48:44 dns01 pdns_server[26834]: 1 domain for which we are
master needs notifications
Feb  1 17:48:44 dns01 pdns_server[26834]: Queued notification of domain
'example.com' to 1.1.1.99:53
Feb  1 17:48:44 dns01 pdns_server[26834]: Queued notification of domain
'example.com' to 1.1.2.99:53
Feb  1 17:48:47 dns01 pdns_server[26834]: No master domains need
notifications
Feb  1 17:49:18 dns01 pdns_server[26834]: Notification for axidc.io to
1.1.1.99:53 failed after retries
Feb  1 17:49:18 dns01 pdns_server[26834]: Notification for axidc.io to
1.1.2.99:53 failed after retries

Is it true that the push from the master to the slave is not working
because the recursor is listening on port 53 while pdns is listening on
port 5300?
If so, how can I make the master push the changes to the slave on port 5300?

Can I use 2 IP addresses per server and make pdns listen on 1 IP and the
recursor listening on the other IP?

If that's not possible is there any other solution except running pdns
and recursor on 2 different servers?

I think this setup is quite common but I couldn't find any information
on this setup and how to configure this.

Stef