[Pdns-users] Reg. PDNS recursor Ver 4.1.16

frank+pdns at tembo.be frank+pdns at tembo.be
Wed Dec 9 08:28:36 UTC 2020

Hi Kiran,

There's no obvious answer based on the info you have us. How is the server configured? Anything special? Who is using your resolver?

Assuming it's a "plain and simple" resolver with good Internet connectivity, I would start to investigate which queries are slow, and why you have so many of them. You could do that in various ways, I would suggest to use dnsdist to do that: it has a "topSlow()" command that will display the slowest queries.

Then, start checking them, you might even enable tracing in pdns on those names and investigate the results.

Best of luck in your hunting expedition!

Frank Louwers
Certified PowerDNS Consultant @ Kiwazo.be <http://kiwazo.be/>

PS: Recursor 4.1.x is very old and no longer supported, it doesn't even get any security updates anymore! I would recommend to migrate to 4.4.1.

> On 9 Dec 2020, at 08:30, Kiran Kumar via Pdns-users <pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com <mailto:pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> How do we minimize answers-slow, We are running on CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)
> on VM with 4VCPUs and 16GB RAM.
>
> rec_control get-all | grep answer
> answers-slow    80903
> answers0-1      598471
> answers1-10     1057756
> answers10-100   2342082
> answers100-1000 1341675
> auth4-answers-slow      119250
> auth4-answers0-1        61649
> auth4-answers1-10       1423348
> auth4-answers10-100     3095598
> auth4-answers100-1000   1515725
> auth6-answers-slow      0
> auth6-answers0-1        0
> auth6-answers1-10       0
> auth6-answers10-100     0
> auth6-answers100-1000   0
> noerror-answers 16875858
> nxdomain-answers        2726842
> servfail-answers        1780021
>
> Are there any parameters that needs to enabled in recursor.conf so that the performance of DNS queries can be further improved.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Kiran

Frank Louwers
PowerDNS Certified Consultant @ Kiwazo.be