[Pdns-users] TSIG with bind backend

Brian Candler b.candler at pobox.com
Mon Aug 24 13:22:21 UTC 2020

On 24/08/2020 13:43, Frédéric Benoit via Pdns-users wrote:
> everything that i use works well except TSIG. I indeed need some
> machines on my network to update dns record.

I think you mean Dynamic DNS updates (TSIG can be used for different
things, e.g. AXFR)

Unfortunately, I believe the BIND backend is not one of those which
supports DDNS:

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/dnsupdate.html

See also:

https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/backends/bind.html

"Note

Because this backend retrieves its configuration from plain files and
not a database, the HTTP API is unable to process changes for this
backend. This effectively makes the API read-only for zones hosted by
the BIND backend."

This doesn't specifically mention DDNS updates, but does say it's
effectively read-only.

One option is to import your BIND zone files into one of the database
backends to powerDNS.  Another option is to keep BIND as a hidden
primary, and then slave powerDNS from it.