[Pdns-users] PowerDNS creates empty/NULL records on update to 4.2.1

Roman Steinhart roman at aternos.org
Sat Apr 25 00:30:00 UTC 2020

Hi Edward,

I never touched the default-api-rectify setting, so it was default which is
yes. Changed that to "no" now and it works. I never ran the command
"pdnsutil rectify-all-zones”.
Do you know what changed from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1 with this rectify setting?
PowerDNS documentation says that the default value of this setting changed
in 4.2.0, but that version was running fine for me.

Thanks
~ Roman

Am Fr., 24. Apr. 2020 um 23:56 Uhr schrieb Edward Dore <
edward.dore at freethought-internet.co.uk>:

> Hi Roman ,
>
> Those are Empty Non-Terminals (ENT) - see
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4592#section-2.2.2.
>
> If you’re using the API, then check your default-api-rectify (
> https://doc.powerdns.com/authoritative/settings.html#setting-default-api-rectify)
> setting. Otherwise, did you run "pdnsutil rectify-all-zones”?
>
> Edward Dore
> Freethought Internet
>
> > On 24 Apr 2020, at 18:16, Roman Steinhart via Pdns-users <
> pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I need a bit of your help and expertise with PowerDNS.
> > Our PowerDNS runs with gmysql backend. Records are created dynamically
> by API. On average it contains ~30k records. 99% of the records are like
> this: https://paste.steinh.art/axazirogud.rb
> > (Note the query)
> > As soon as I update from PowerDNS 4.2.0 to PowerDNS 4.2.1 it creates two
> more records for the higher domain levels(_tcp.aft2d.aternos.me,
> aft2d.aternos.me) and a NULL value in the any other database field:
> https://paste.steinh.art/goyifuyedu.rb
> >
> > I checked the changelog of 4.2.1 and couldn't find anything which is
> related to this behaviour, so I consider this is a bug?
> > Our PowerDNS is running on Ubuntu 16.04 with packages from PDns repos.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Roman Steinhart
> >
> > Aternos GmbH