[Pdns-users] recursor - exclude single zone from forwarding

Gert van Dijk gertvdijk+pdns-users at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 14:39:44 UTC 2019

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 3:20 PM Vitali Quiering via Pdns-users
<pdns-users at mailman.powerdns.com> wrote:
> is it possible to exclude zones from forwarding?
>
> In plain bind config you could just leave forwarders empty to overwrite the forwarders config for just one domain.
>
> From my “recursor-beginners-point-of-view" something like this could work, but it obviously doesn’t.
>
> forward-zones=.=8.8.8.8,example.com=,example.org=8.8.4.4
>
> Unfortunately I can’t get no records from example.com zone.

Well, you should understand that PowerDNS Recursor's main purpose is
to *recurse*. If configure forward-zones, then that is already the
'exclusion' on what to recurse. With "forward-zones=.=8.8.8.8" you
basically turn off recursion.

Taking one step back to answer your question, I believe you may be
using the wrong tool to do the job. Consider using dnsdist (which is
an advanced forwarder) and configure it to forward queries to your
upstream recursor, excluding some domains. I think the page on Server
pools [1] should get you started on how to handle certain domains
differently.

HTH

Gert

[1]: https://dnsdist.org/guides/serverpools.html#server-pools