[Pdns-users] pdns_server won't start with 4.2.0~rc2+master.709.g9de6bc5ac-1pdns.buster

Otto Moerbeek otto at drijf.net
Mon Sep 23 04:57:43 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 07:32:02PM +0100, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Sorry I can't help troubleshoot this, as I had to get my two public
> auth servers working again so my domains would work :-)
>
> Yesterday in my weekly system update process my two machines, both
> x86-64 machines running Debian Buster and using the pdns-auth-master
> repository, upgraded to 4.2.0~rc2+master.709.g9de6bc5ac-1pdns.buster.
> After this upgrade pdns_server would not start; it complained that it
> could not open /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf, even though the file was
> present and unchanged from before the package upgrade.
>
> I switched both machines to the pdns-auth-42 repository, 'upgraded' to
> 4.2.0-1pdns.buster, and pdns_server started right up and is working
> fine. No other changes were made to the systems.

This is likely a permission problem. On the master branch and while
using systemd, the servers are started running as the pdns user, and
not as root anymore.  So make sure the config file(s) are readable by
the pdns use. Ownership root:pdns and permissions 640 is likely a good
choice. And note https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/8329 and
https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/pull/8330

	-Otto