[Pdns-users] SOA-EDIT questions

Wed Sep 4 20:58:13 UTC 2019

Hi!

I wonder how the SOA-EDIT feature (to keep signatures fresh on slaves)
works in detail:

- Will the master also send NOTIFYs with increased serials to keep the
slave fresh, or does it rely that the refresh value is small and the
slave checks for newer serials on the master?

- SOA-EDIT will never change some data in the backend - it is only
calculated on the fly whan answering SOA queries and AXFRs. Correct?

- Why do we need default-soa-edit or default-soa-edit-signed settings? I
thought the SOA-EDIT hack is only necessary to keep signatures fresh.
For unsigned zones default-soa-edit looks like a workaround for broken
setups which do not increase the serial on zone changes. OR do I miss
something here?

Thanks
Klaus