[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor / dnsdist: EDNS Client Subnet

Bjoern Franke bjo at schafweide.org
Sun Nov 24 10:50:00 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm running dnsdist with one PowerDNS Recursor as downstream. I tried to
figure out how I can get the EDNS Client Subnet through.

E.g. if I use DoT with my mobile phone and come from 89.15.232.0/21 (o2
Germany in Hamburg), usually the traffic to Akamai is routed to Akamai
in Hamburg if I use o2's DNS, OpenDNS or 8.8.8.8. Using my dnsdist in
Nuremberg, Akamai traffic is routed to Frankfurt.

I enabled "useClientSubnet=true" for dnsdist and several EDNS Client
options in PowerDNS Recursor (ecs-add-for, edns-subnet-whitelist,
use-incoming-edns-subnet) but nothing changes.

I stumpled upon a mail from Bert Hubert years ago mentioning
www.geo.powerdns.com, but it seems not to work any more. In that thread
was also mentioned edns-client-sub.net, which tells me that ECS is
false. For my confusion, it also says ECS false when I use OpenDNS which
supports EDNS Client Subnets afaik.

Did I miss something and getting EDNS Client Subnets through that setup
will only work when #8401[1]/ #8402[2]

Best Regards
Bjoern

[1]https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues/8401