[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor delegate some queries to another recursor

Tobi <jahlives@gmx.ch> jahlives at gmx.ch
Tue May 21 05:51:24 UTC 2019

Brian

> In any case, it's the responsibility of the authoritative domain owner
> to host their domain on at least two different ASes (RFC 2182), if
> they care about people being able to resolve it.

Full agree with that, but our customer is not interested why he cannot
send a mail to the other end of the world. It just needs to work :-) We
had such problems where after a 5 day investigation by our provider they
found out that such a BGP issue occured somewhere in the world with
their peering partner.

> An authoritative server with that sort of limit, such as could affect
> a single end-user site, would be completely broken IMO.

who said it's concerning my homebrew dns server? That issue occured on
our resolvers at the company where I work. We're working in email
filtering buissiness and we have quite a lot of dns queries per day.

Frank

> Note that the second reason you mention (src address rate limiting)
> won’t be fixed by implementing this solution…

true, not fixed as in "not occur anymore" but fixed as in "more than one
src address --> more queries in total before per SRC address limits kick in"

> If you *do* want to solve it at the configuration layer: do you have a
> list of domains that should use the other resolver?

thats our "problem": we only have the IP address(es) of the authorative
nameservers we want to reach via the 2nd resolver.

Cheers

--

tobi