[Pdns-users] DNSSEC with MySQL backend and replication

Alun James AJames at tibus.com
Thu May 16 10:00:57 UTC 2019

Hi,

Just a few queries on implementing DNSSec with a MySQL backend, if I could trouble someone for their thoughts an recommendations?

Currently our PowerDNS Auth infra looks like below:

    +-----------------+                          +-----------------+
    | PowerDNS Auth B |                          | PowerDNS Auth C |
    +-----------------+                          +-----------------+
    |  MYSQL SLAVE    |                          |  MYSQL SLAVE    |
    +-------^---------+                          +-------^---------+
            |                                            |
            |                                            |
            |              +--------------+              |
            |              |  PowerAdmin  |              |
MASTER/SLAVE|              +------+-------+              |MASTER/SLAVE
REPLICATION |                     |                      |REPLICATION
            |              +------v-------+              |
            +--------------+ MYSQL MASTER +--------------+
                           +------^-------+

                           +------+----------+
                           | PowerDNS Auth A |
                          +-----------------+

We currently edit records by way of PowerAdmin, which updates the master database directly and so "PowerDNS Auth A" instance is not actually used or interacted with, normally. Zone/record updates are replicated to the "edge" Auth servers (B and C) via MySQL replication. We would like to enable DNSSec on a few of our domains, at least as a proof of concept. A few questions...

I assume I need to enable gmysql-dnssec on ALL PowerDNS Auth instances (A,B and C)?
Will PowerDNS commands to enable DNSSec signing of a zone need executed on "PowerDNS Auth A" ONLY (which will add the relevant records to the database and replicate them to B and C)?
Given that PowerAdmin talks directly to the database, any record changes here likely to cause a problem with these signed domains?
Should I look at a newer GUI that implements the DNSSec commands and interacts with PowerDNS API instead?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Alun.

[Tibus Logo]<http://www.tibus.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email>[Separator]Alun James
Senior Systems Engineer
T: +44 (0) 28 9033 1122
E: ajames at tibus.com<mailto:ajames at tibus.com>
W: www.tibus.com<http://www.tibus.com/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email>
[http://frontend.open.ms-dev.web.tibus.net/zesty/tibus-sig-new/assets/icon-fb.png]<https://www.facebook.com/tibusDigital>  [http://frontend.open.ms-dev.web.tibus.net/zesty/tibus-sig-new/assets/icon-tw.png] <https://twitter.com/tibus>   [http://frontend.open.ms-dev.web.tibus.net/zesty/tibus-sig-new/assets/icon-li.png] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/tibus>
Tibus is a wholly-owned division of Wireless.